Let’s be real, we all have expectations on our shoulders; responsibilities and obstacles that shape the way we live our lives. However, for those living with disabilities, these pressures can feel much more difficult. That is why a positive, healthy outlook is essential for day-to-day life with disabilities. Here are some tips on how to live positively!
- Surround yourself with positive people. A few good, understanding and reliable friends are better than a large circle of acquaintances. Find the honest ones that see past your disability; the ones that give straight advice and call you out on issues. Making new friends when living with a disability is another challenge to overcome, but it can be rewarding. You never know what relationships you might form and the impacts they will have on your life.
- At the same time, make sure to connect with people in a positive way. There are always going to be people that are unsure of how to approach you or talk to you. Disability, especially a physical, visible one, can be intimidating to people. They may want to engage in conversation and be social, but a part of them will be left doubting themselves over the best course of action. If you sense some intimidation on their part, reassure them with a funny joke or a smile. Helping them to be more comfortable will create a positive connection between you.
- Be careful setting expectations. This is true of both the expectations of others and the ones you place upon yourself. Don’t measure yourself against others. You know your abilities and limitations, and you know what you need to work on with them. Push yourself to achievable goals that you set yourself, which will improve your situation. However, there will always be those that assume you can’t do anything because of your disability. The satisfaction of proving them wrong cannot be understated. Don’t push yourself to unreachable heights just to appease others and fit in.
- Make the most of what you have. You can choose to look at your physical limitations or your physical abilities. Everyone has something they cannot do and something they are great at. Show the world what you have to offer, and you will increase your sense of self-worth while living with a disability. Choose your abilities.
- Finally, live in the present. This final tip for living with a disability is perhaps the most important of all. What does the future hold for you concerning your disability and prosperity? Nobody has an answer to that. All you can do is work on your present self and enjoy the moments and victories as they come. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and we must all enjoy each day for what it is.