Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about what we are thankful for in our lives! I was thinking of the many things that I am thankful for this year – my big, healthy baby, my loving husband, my awesome, fun job, my ability to continue to run, my opportunity to inspire, and many many more! But, my list never includes being thankful for my missing limbs. I mean, why should I even be thankful for that? So… I decided to change my perspective, think positively and list the reasons why I am thankful for my disability!
- I am thankful for not having feet – because you know, it’s winter and I don’t get cold feet! I know, you’ve heard this joke many times from me. Guys, it never gets old!
- I am thankful that I get to educate people about prostheses and our many differences!! We have so many questions and not enough answers.
- I am thankful to help other amputees who struggle mentally and physically! It’s the best feeling knowing that they are not giving up because I’ve helped them!
- I am thankful for laughs and jokes that I get to make because of my disability! If you know me, you know that I love telling those cheesy amputee jokes!
- I am thankful for all the modern technology that makes our prostheses look awesome – this reminds me to be thankful for all of our prosthetists and doctors who help us be active and independent!
- And finally, I am thankful for life, a life full of adventures. Every day is a gift full of ups and downs, love and loss, smiles and tears, accomplishments and setbacks – you know, life and every moment is beautiful!
So, look at your life and find the things you are thankful for in your life’s challenges. The change and perspective might surprise you.
Happy Almost Delicious Turkey Leg Day!