Eyes are windows to the soul. Lips are always getting kissed. And heart is basically everything! But what about feet?
GIFS courtesy of gfycat.com
Even though feet are not the most glamorous part of the body, they are basically heroes of the body because they carry us 8,000 to 10,000 step a day and more than 100,000 miles over the course of a lifetime (technically that’s four times around the world.) And since Knit-Rite/Therafim makes socks for all the feet – here’s are some incredibly interesting facts you probably don’t even know. Thank you HEELTHATPAIN website for the sources.
- A human foot and ankle is a strong, mechanical structure that contain 26 bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Photo courtesy of thefootworksstore.com
- Toes can sometimes surgically replace lost thumbs. You heard that right! While it might sound bizarre, the surgery s fairly common and quite successful. Once the transplanted big toe is attached to the hand, it allows people to regain all the benefits of the lost thumb and they can do basically everything without big issues.
Photo courtesy of reddit.com
- Has anyone told you that your toes smell like stinky cheese? Well, Foot cheese is an actual thing because it is totally possible to make actual cheese with bacteria from foot sweat. In 2013, Ireland held a Foot Cheese Exhibition that featured several varieties of foot cheese, as well as varieties that evolved from belly buttons and armpits. Yuck!
Gifs courtesy of giphy.com
- Toe wrestling is a competitive sport. This sport has been thriving in several countries since 1970. In this sport, opponents attempt to pin and hold down their opponents bare toes for three seconds. And best two out of three rounds, wins!!
Gifs courtesy of makeagif.com
- Did you know that there is a phobia of feet? Yep, and it is called podophobia! Many people with this phobia can have an extreme revulsion to the sight of feet. They are also upset by talking about feet, reading about it or even touching their own feet. In some cases, podophobia can have a damaging effect on an individual’s health if it impacts someone ability to put on or remove socks and shoes, or properly wash the feet. This all can lead to infections or other serious problems.
Gifs courtesy of themetapicture.com
- The longest toenails are 6 inches long! Luise Hollis from California holds the current world record for longest toenails in the world. Each toenail is approximately 6 inches long and requires a full two day of care and grooming each week. Now, that’s some serious foot love.
- Finally, did you know that there are more than five different generally-recognized foot types? There’s a The Peasant foot, The structural Flat foot, The Egyptian Foot, The Greek Foot and a few others. Many people believe that it is possible to describe your personality by determining the shape of your foot! See for yourself!
Photo courtesy of healthysteps.com
Doesn’t that make you love your feet just a tad more? LOL! I don’t have feet – so I’ll never know!